Re: Browser security warning

I generally agree with you. However, afaik, (and I don't really),
almost no https sessions result in the browser checking a CRL or
OCSP responder. Does anyone have any real data about that? (Esp.
on the Internet as opposed to within enterprise networks.)

Oddly enough, if certificate status checking is rare, then really
the self-signed approach is, in principle, better from the revocation
p-o-v. (When the self-signed cert changes, the browser notices, if
the bad actor hasn't re-directed the connection; with "proper" certs
and no status checking, the client can swap back and forth between
the actual site and one using the compromised private key and never
notice.)

But certs that chain up to a trusted-CA stored locally are
generally more reliable as to naming, since CAs generally do do
their job fairly well. (That's if the list of CA-certs in
the browser is secure of course.) And naming is way more important
than revocation here.

(At least I've not heard of any attacks in the wild that would have
been defeated by a CRL or OCSP check, maybe I'm wrong there though?)

S.