Re: SAWSDL and annotating enumerations in simpleTypes

Hello,

Thank you for the answer. Indeed this really helps. I am currently doing
research on the applied question on how to enhance XML Schema with
ontological concepts thus raising "semantic transparency. That is the
ability of the XML machine to establish the relationship between, say, a
PurchaseOrder or PO element and the higher-order processing that performs
specialized operations based on that element.[1]"

For that SAWSDL seems to be the right recommendation, cause it allows to
clearly separate the syntactic modeling of data and semantic modeling of a
knowledge domain, by first focusing on using XML Schema to model data and
next clearly and simply state which XML Schema construct has a meaningful
relationship to which ontological entity.

IMHO a key to success with XML is to focus on the nature of the
information that needs to be represented in document instances separately
from the technical design of the systems that need to process that
information and separately from the ontological view on a domain of
knowledge.

I just try to shape my arguments above because I am working on Genomic
Contextual Data Markup Language [2] as an implementation of Minimum
Information about a Genome Sequence [3] by the Genomic Standards
Consortium [4] where the decision on how to integrate ontologies is still
open. The proposed solutions range from defining a XML construct to just
link from document instances to arbitrary ontologies, to put ontology
information in the <appinfo/> element on the Schema level or to use a new
W3C Recommendation named SAWSDL. I am optimistic on SAWSDL.

I am also writing a paper on GCDML and I will let you know if it will make
use of SAWSDL. To raise the chance for SAWSDL any further (bibliographic)
reference on SAWSDL compared to other solutions would be appreciated.

Regards,

renzo

[1] http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think1.html
[2] http://gensc.org/gc_wiki/index.php/GCDML