issue 18: Relation of multiple modelReferences

From: Jacek Kopecky <jacek.kopecky@deri.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:16:25 +0200
To: SAWSDL public list <public-ws-semann@w3.org>

Hi all,

to kick off discussion about issue 18 [1], here's how I see it:

Inside a single WSDL file (plus the imports/includes), all information
is taken to be applicable "together", so to speak. If we specify
modelReferences on a number of operations, they all apply in
conjunction. Therefore it seems that in absence of any text to the
contrary, multiple modelReference values on a single component also
apply in conjunction. For example:

<element name="fullName" type="xsd:string"
  sawsdl:modelReference="ontology#FullName ontology#FirstName ontology#LastName"/>

This says that all the three URIs describe the element fullName.

Further, unless we say anything else, there is no additional
relationship to the different model references, independent of whether
they are in the same ontology or not, or indeed if they are from the
same ontological model or not. (Think WSML ontologies vs. OWL vs. UML.)

The ontologies may specify relationships, for example that FullName
consists of FirstName and LastName, but SAWSDL, as it stands, does not
constrain such relationships, nor does it add anything to them.

If they are inconsistent (and inconsistencies can manifest across
ontologies or ontological systems as well), we should consider the
SAWSDL description invalid.

Therefore I don't see that SAWSDL specifies any relationsip of multiple
modelReference values, and I especially don't see why we should
differentiate between modelReference values from the same ontology or
from different ones, as has been mentioned in some discussions.

Best regards,

Jacek

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/sawsdl/issues/#x18