RE: Issue 6413 - just thinking

From: Doug Davis <dug@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 18:55:49 -0400
To: public-ws-resource-access@w3.org
Geoff Bullen <Geoff.Bullen@microsoft.com> wrote on 05/06/2009 05:35:24 PM:
> Fragment access provides a generic framework for accessing fragments
> of a resource, but the client still has to have intimate knowledge
> of the way in which fragments are supported within the particular
> resource it is talking to.  How does the client gain such knowledge?
> There is no method called generateFragments that will return
> fragment definitions, so that the client can use XPath to access them.
>
> If it is OK for the client to know the details of how to setup an
> appropriate XPath query, why is it not OK for the client to know how
> to generate, say, a URI that represents the fragment (e.g. http:
> /?/myresource?section=a&subsection=b)

You need to talk with your WSA team.  EPRs are owned by the minter,
in this case the service.

> As a side note, how did the client get the top level EPR in the
> first place?  Could you not get the fragment EPRs the same way?

Sure and that's ok - as long as the EPR is opaque to the client.  As I
said,
this can be done today no change is needed.

> What is actually the difference between a ?resource? EPR and a
?fragment? EPR?

Nothing and that's actually my point.  Once the client has an EPR to a
resource,
its just a resource.  The question is, how do you get more granularity if
the
service won't give you an EPR to something lower down?  ta da... fragments
 ;-)

-Doug