RE: Issue 6413 - just thinking

> Ultimately Transfer is about an EPR pointing to _a_ resource.  Whether or not there might be sub-resources present isn't relevant. For whatever reason the service gave a particular EPR to the client and that's the EPR it needs to use.  If the service wants to expose sub-resources as individual EPRs then its free to do so but it need to provide some mechanism by which the client can get those EPRs.  Perhaps some method like:  generateEPR( fragment ) or perhaps sprinkle EPRs in the resource's XML at each sub-resource location.  But, in the end you still end up with a single EPR to a single resource and you're asking the application (Transfer in this case) to act on it.  From an Addressing perspective that's as fine grained as the client can get.  At that point we're within the Transfer application and _if_ people want to ask for finer grained manipulation that's where the Transfer fragment stuff comes into play.  We're no longer at the infrastructural/WSAddressing layer - we're within the application.

Fragment access provides a generic framework for accessing fragments of a resource, but the client still has to have intimate knowledge of the way in which fragments are supported within the particular resource it is talking to.  How does the client gain such knowledge?  There is no method called generateFragments that will return fragment definitions, so that the client can use XPath to access them.

If it is OK for the client to know the details of how to setup an appropriate XPath query, why is it not OK for the client to know how to generate, say, a URI that represents the fragment (e.g. http:/.../myresource?section=a&subsection=b)

As a side note, how did the client get the top level EPR in the first place?  Could you not get the fragment EPRs the same way?  What is actually the difference between a "resource" EPR and a "fragment" EPR?

Just trying seeking a clear understanding of the real issues here.
--Geoff