RE: WS-Eventing Issue 6425 proposal

Hi Wu,
  So, with this proposal would this message be invalid:
<s:Envelope xmlns:s="...">
 <s:Header/>
 <e:Subscribe xmlns:e=".../ws-eventing">
  <e:Delivery mode=".../broadcast"/>
 </e:Subscribe>
</s:Envelope>

Where someone wanted to use WS-Eventing to have events broadcast rather
than sent to one particular EPR?  In an environment where this message may
be sent on an HTTP request flow, there may not be the need for any
WSAddressing headers.  While I personally want people to always use
WS-Addressing (I think it should have been part of soap itself ;-),  I'm
not sure that in a composible archetecture (like Web Services) we should
have WS-Eventing itself be so prescriptive.  For example, during the F2F
someone mentioned that they wanted the option of using the member
submission of WS-Addressing - while I'm not in favor of WS-Eventing
promoting that spec, I'm not sure we should put something in WS-Eventing
that would ban it either.  This seems like something that would be better
suited for a profile.

thanks
-Doug
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  dug@us.ibm.com

"Chou, Wu (Wu)" <wuchou@avaya.com>
Sent by: public-ws-resource-access-request@w3.org
02/10/2009 02:29 PM

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc
"Gilbert Pilz" <gilbert.pilz@oracle.com>,
<public-ws-resource-access@w3.org>,
<public-ws-resource-access-request@w3.org>
Subject
RE: WS-Eventing  Issue 6425 proposal

Doug,

The whole proposal is quite simple and only one sentence: "The event
source shall be addressed by a WS-Addressing 1.0 EPR and the request
message shall be sent to this EPR, as defined in WS-Addressing 1.0 Core
Section 3.1-3.3."
The intention is to prevent subscriber from using ad-hoc method (e.g.
custom soap headers) outside EPR to indicate targeted event source.
Normatively referencing REC version of WS-Addressing can mean too many
things, e.g. core, soap/wsdl, meta information, etc. The concern is: some
implementation may claim normative referencing to WS-Addressing and
WS-Eventing, while using some additional information outside the EPR to
indicate targeted event source. If this happens, interoperability will
become an issue.
We are open to suggestions to refine this sentence. We had a discussion
with Gil and he said he would give it a try.
Thanks,
- Wu Chou.