From: Doug Davis [mailto:dug@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2009 11:30 AM
To: Chou, Wu (Wu)
Cc: Gilbert Pilz; public-ws-resource-access@w3.org;
public-ws-resource-access-request@w3.org
Subject: RE: WS-Eventing Issue 6425 proposal

Hi Wu,
  thanks for the reply.  Can you elaborate a bit more on why this is
needed?  While I understand what you said in your note, I'm struggling
with why this one specification is special.  By this I mean, other WS
specs don't make this kind of statement.  How the client obtains the
reference to the service is really left as an exercise for reader.
Whether the reference came from WSDL, or from some registry, or whether
its a full EPR or just a URI are all problems that the client just has
to deal with.  And this is true for any interaction between a client and
service.  We've agreed that WS-Eventing will normatively reference (and
use) the REC version of WS-Addressing, so do we really need to say
anything more?
  I get the sense that there's something deeper behind this that I'm
missing.  Perhaps it would help me understand it better if I turn this
around and ask what would break or cause an interoperability problem by
not having this additional sentence?  Do you have an example of a case
where even after both parties agreed to use the REC version of
WS-Addressing, there were still interop issues?  Does this sentence
imply any new requirements on either party?  For example, does this
require the event source's WSDL to include an embedded EPR in the port?

thanks
-Doug
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  dug@us.ibm.com

"Chou, Wu (Wu)" <wuchou@avaya.com>
Sent by: public-ws-resource-access-request@w3.org

02/06/2009 11:04 AM

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, "Gilbert Pilz" <gilbert.pilz@oracle.com>
cc
<public-ws-resource-access@w3.org>,
<public-ws-resource-access-request@w3.org>
Subject
RE: WS-Eventing  Issue 6425 proposal

Doug, Gil,

Thanks for your comments. The whole proposal 6425 is to add one
sentence: "The event source is addressed by a WS-Addressing 1.0 EPR and
the request message shall be sent to this EPR, as defined in
WS-Addressing 1.0 Core Section 3.1-3.3."

We feel this more definitive statement  is needed, because there are
multiple versions of WS-Addressing being used and there are multiple
ways to interpret/use event source and EPR in current WS-Eventing.

You can ignore all the rest  in this proposal, i.e. the 2nd part
(background/rationale), because the second part is just some background
information. It is not part of the proposed change to WS-Eventing.

Regards,

- Wu Chou

Wu Chou, IEEE Fellow, Ph.D. | Director |Avaya Labs Research | AVAYA |
233 Mt. Airy Road| Rm. 2D48 | Basking Ridge, NJ 07920 | Voice/Fax:
908-696-5198 / 908-696-5401 | wuchou@avaya.com <mailto:wuchou@avaya.com>