New C14N/1.1 WD and Web Services Policy 1.5 - Framework (ed. copy)

From: Jose Kahan <jose.kahan@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:34:58 +0200
To: public-ws-policy@w3.org

I'm writing on behalf of the XML-Core Working Group. We'd like to bring to
your attention that we have published three C14N related documents and welcome
review to them [1].

Specifically, there is a new Working Draft for C14N/1.1 that takes into
account different issues related to C14N and the evolution of XML core
technologies, including xml:id.

In parallel, W3C is working on a charter for a new W3C Working Group that
would have task of making an editorial revision of XML Signature to make
mandatory the use of C14N/1.1, thus making it possible to correctly take into
documents that include xml:id attributes. See the related dsig-usage note
[2] and the thread on the w3c-ietf-xmldsig mailing list [3].

In particular, this work should solve the problem you describe in
Section 4.2 of the recent Editor's Draft for the Web Services Policy 1.5 -
Framework [4]:

/wsp:Policy/(@wsu:Id | @xml:id)

The identity of the policy expression as an ID within the enclosing XML
document. If omitted, there is no implied value. To refer to this policy
expression, an IRI-reference  MAY be formed using this value per Section
4.2 of WS-Security [WS-Security 2004] when @wsu:Id is used.

The use of xml:id attribute in conjunction with Canonical XML 1.0 is
inappropriate as described in Appendix C of xml:id Version 1.0 [XML ID]
and thus this combination must be avoided (see [C14N 1.0 Note]). For
example, a policy expression identified using xml:id attribute should not
be signed using XML Digital Signature when Canonical XML 1.0 is being used
as the canonicalization method.

You may wish to apply the procedure described in Section 2.2 of the
dsig-usage note [2] to apply a C14N/1.1 transformation. This could help
you avoid having to define an alternate xml:id attribute.

You can send comments related to the C14N drafts to the following
public-archived list:

Best regards,

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-DSig-usage-20060915/