From: public-ws-desc-comments-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-ws-desc-comments-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Marsh
Sent: 20 October 2006 21:57
To: matthew.d.rawlings@jpmchase.com
Cc: ylafon@w3.org; Steve Ross-Talbot; stabet@ruleml.org;
public-ws-desc-comments@w3.org
Subject: RE: XML Schema requires a type in addition to name to identify an
element

Thanks for your comment.  The WS Description Working Group tracked this
issue as a CR078 [1].

The Working Group, in part because of the late stages of development we're
in, was unable to reach consensus to add functionality to address your
scenario.  We note a few workarounds, some more attractive than others,
which you might consider in addressing your scenario

1)     Use element="#any".  This reduces the descriptiveness completely,
which is at odds with the desire to describe a specific FpML structure.

2)     Use element="fmpl:FpML".  This allows only FpML documents, but
doesn't further constrain the precise structure of FpML.  This isn't
unreasonable, as it doesn't circumvent the kind of flexibility for which the
schema was originally designed, yet it doesn't support the use case of
specifying a subset of the possible structures that is intended for the
operation.

3)     Wrap the FpML types in a set of wrapper elements (unfortunately not
named FpML), so the content of the element can be precisely determined.
Unfortunately this morphs the root element name on the wire, so the messages
conform to the wrapped schema, but not directly to the unwrapped FpML
schema.

4)     Use an extension of your own invention to specify further validation
constraints (such as the allowed values of xsi:type).  This is slightly more
machine-readable than specifying the further constraints in text.

5)     Consider an extension framework, such as SAWSDL [2], to encode higher
level semantics and constraints upon the message exchanges.

Unless you let us know otherwise by the end of October, we will assume you
agree with the resolution of this issue.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/5/cr-issues/issues.html#CR078

[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-semann-comments/

Jonathan Marsh -  <http://www.wso2.com> http://www.wso2.com -
<http://auburnmarshes.spaces.live.com> http://auburnmarshes.spaces.live.com