default interface/operation/@pattern

From: Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:06:39 +0600
To: <public-ws-desc-comments@w3.org>

We would like to see the "pattern" attribute of "operation" elements
defaulted based on the contained <input> and <output> elements for
those patterns where that is unambiguously possible. The component
model will continue to have the current behavior - this is only
a syntactic convenience.

Requiring all users to remember the values of the pattern URIs
when the value is patently obvious from the <input> and/or
<output> elements makes the language overly cumbersome with
no value. We would like this extra complexity removed.

Note that this is only a default - if someone else were to define
a pattern with only one <input> and no <output>s then they can
still live happily with the user explicitly setting the value.

Sanjiva, on behalf of IBM.