Re: Clarifying exchange type

Gary Brown wrote:

> Hi Monica,
>
> The ability to define notifications has been in the spec from day one.
> It is simply a case of defining an interaction that has just a
> 'Respond' exchange in it with no preceding 'Request' exchange (in the
> same or any other interaction activity).
>
> The new 'Notify' exchange type that I am suggesting would not require
> any new semantics, as it is so similar to the 'Respond' exchange,
> although it does enable us to tighten up the semantics around the
> 'Respond' exchange, to enable static validation to ensure that there
> is a matching 'Request' exchange, which is currently not possible,

mm1: I agree we have a Respond exchange; however we may differ on
whether or not this is a Notify.  Granted it may be similar to Respond;
it may be Respond or, in other cases, its meaning may be very different
from Respond. Perhaps this is a case to consider whether a Respond
exchange is capable of specifying a Request match rather than
differentiating with a Notify. I have opted not to explain the business
level differences of a response or notify, as this has historically been
outside of this WG scope.

> So basically, at the moment it is possible to define notifications as
> well as responses, but a CDL description may define these so they are
> ambiguous and there is no way to statically validate whether they are
> correct. This change would also be advantageous in a Web Services
> deployment, as it clearly indicates whether WS notifications is
> required, and if not available would enable an organisation to
> understand that the CDL could not be implemented.

mm1: It appears that what you are asking for are more functions around
what Respond may be. Thanks.