Re: Clarifying exchange type

Hi Monica,

The ability to define notifications has been in the spec from day one.
It is simply a case of defining an interaction that has just a 'Respond'
exchange in it with no preceding 'Request' exchange (in the same or any
other interaction activity).

The new 'Notify' exchange type that I am suggesting would not require
any new semantics, as it is so similar to the 'Respond' exchange,
although it does enable us to tighten up the semantics around the
'Respond' exchange, to enable static validation to ensure that there is
a matching 'Request' exchange, which is currently not possible,

So basically, at the moment it is possible to define notifications as
well as responses, but a CDL description may define these so they are
ambiguous and there is no way to statically validate whether they are
correct. This change would also be advantageous in a Web Services
deployment, as it clearly indicates whether WS notifications is
required, and if not available would enable an organisation to
understand that the CDL could not be implemented.

Regards
Gary