RE: Relationship issue example

Dear Gary,

My current short answer is:  I think we should leave as is, and yes I think
it is fine to have a single choreography description document describe what
are actually two, or more, totally disconnected choreographies - I think we
should allow that design freedom - even if it does seem a bit strange.

The slightly longer answer is:  From the point of view of a single endpoint
there are degrees to which they are involved in what is happening (message
wise) in the choreography from being involved with everything to not being
involved at all in some part.  Consider a choreography with just two
participants each of which have just one role and these two roles 'talk' to
each other.  In this case both roles are involved in each and every
interaction in the choreography.  But if you think about it this is really a
particular case and not the general case.  With three participants and four
roles say A<-->B<-->C then Participant B is involved in all the
interactions, but A has no involvement with the B<-->C interactions and thus
the B<-->C interactions are just the same as D<-->E interactions as far as A
is concerned (it has no involvement and no visibility of either set of
interactions.  In general it is only the choreography designer that can
'see' (or whatever word you would like to use - a bit philosophical this!)
the complete choreography, or a monitor that has access to all the
interactions (/channels).  It seems to me this is as true for the
 A<-->B<-->C<-->D case as for the  A<-->B  C<-->D case.

Finally a question for you.  I have done a quick hack on the choreography
example that you sent (so I may not have got all the details of the syntax
correct, but hopefully you will understand what I intend).  Is it still
legal CDL?  (If it is I intend to make a further modification and comeback
with another somewhat philosophical question - and if it is not legal I
would appreciate knowing why.

Best Regards     Tony
A M Fletcher

Cohesions  (TM)

Business transaction management software for application coordination
www.choreology.com <http://www.choreology.com/>

Choreology Ltd., 68 Lombard Street, London EC3V 9LJ     UK
Tel: +44 (0) 1473 729537   Mobile: +44 (0) 7801 948219
tony.fletcher@choreology.com     (Home: amfletcher@iee.org)