  From: Tony Fletcher
  To: 'Gary Brown' ; public-ws-chor@w3.org
  Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 7:40 PM
  Subject: RE: Relationship issue example

  Dear Gary,

  My current short answer is:  I think we should leave as is, and yes I think it is fine to have a single choreography description document describe what are actually two, or more, totally disconnected choreographies - I think we should allow that design freedom - even if it does seem a bit strange.

  The slightly longer answer is:  From the point of view of a single endpoint there are degrees to which they are involved in what is happening (message wise) in the choreography from being involved with everything to not being involved at all in some part.  Consider a choreography with just two participants each of which have just one role and these two roles 'talk' to each other.  In this case both roles are involved in each and every interaction in the choreography.  But if you think about it this is really a particular case and not the general case.  With three participants and four roles say A<-->B<-->C then Participant B is involved in all the interactions, but A has no involvement with the B<-->C interactions and thus the B<-->C interactions are just the same as D<-->E interactions as far as A is concerned (it has no involvement and no visibility of either set of interactions.  In general it is only the choreography designer that can 'see' (or whatever word you would like to use - a bit philosophical this!) the complete choreography, or a monitor that has access to all the interactions (/channels).  It seems to me this is as true for the
   A<-->B<-->C<-->D case as for the  A<-->B  C<-->D case.

  Finally a question for you.  I have done a quick hack on the choreography example that you sent (so I may not have got all the details of the syntax correct, but hopefully you will understand what I intend).  Is it still legal CDL?  (If it is I intend to make a further modification and comeback with another somewhat philosophical question - and if it is not legal I would appreciate knowing why.

  Best Regards     Tony
  A M Fletcher

  Cohesions  (TM)

  Business transaction management software for application coordination       www.choreology.com

  Choreology Ltd., 68 Lombard Street, London EC3V 9LJ     UK
  Tel: +44 (0) 1473 729537   Mobile: +44 (0) 7801 948219
  tony.fletcher@choreology.com     (Home: amfletcher@iee.org)