RE: Partial executability/ determinism of a Chor description lang uage

Tony

I agree with the requirement that the behavior of the a choreography can be
dependent of the content of a message. However, I think the best way to do
this is with an abstract choreography definition (in a CDL) and a binding to
the concrete. The following is based on the ideas for a CDL I put out in an
earlier email [1].

Here's the Choreography definition ...

<Interaction Name="SendOrderResponse">
  <Description>Send the order response to the buyer</Description>
  <PreCondition Condition="OrderChecked"/>
  <FromRole>Seller></FromRole>
  <ToRole>Buyer</ToRole>
  <FromRoleState>OrderResponseSent</FromRoleState>
  <ToRoleState>OrderResponseReceived</ToRoleState>
  <MessageFamily>OrderResponse</MessageFamily>
</Interaction>
<Process Name="CheckOrderResponse" Role="Buyer">
  <Description>The buyer checks the order response</Description>
  <PreCondition Condition="OrderResponseReceived"/>
  <ProcessEndState State="OrderAccepted"/>
  <ProcessEndState State="OrderRejected"/>
  <ProcessEndState State="OrderResponseError"/>
</Process>

<Interaction Name="SendMessage3">
  <Description>Send Message 3 as Order accepted</Description>
  <PreCondition Condition="OrderAccepted"/>
  <FromRole>Buyer</FromRole>
  <FromRoleState>Message3Sent</FromRoleState>
  <ToRole>Seller</ToRole>
  <ToRoleState>Message3Received</ToRoleState>
  <MessageFamily>Message3</MessageFamily>
</Interaction>
<Interaction Name="SendMessage4">
  <Description>Send Message 4 as Order rejected</Description>
  <PreCondition Condition="OrderRejected"/>
  <FromRole>Buyer</FromRole>
  <FromRoleState>Message4Sent</FromRoleState>
  <ToRole>Seller</ToRole>
  <ToRoleState>Message4Received</ToRoleState>
  <MessageFamily>Message4</MessageFamily>
</Interaction>

In the example above:
1. An Interaction is the sending of a message from one role to another which
results in state changes at each role, e.g. sending an OrderResponse results
in the From role's state becoming OrderResponseSent, and once received the
To role's state becoming OrderResponseReceived
2. A Process is an activity that occurs in one role (e.g.
CheckOrderResponse) which can result in one or more output states (e.g.
OrderAccepted, OrderRejected or OrderResponseError)
3. Any Interaction or Process is conditional on the existence of some
combination of states, for example the CheckOrderResponse process is
conditional on the OrderResponseReceived state.

Note that this whole definition is abstract as it does not identify either
the message format or how you determine, for example any of the states. To
do this you need a separate document to do the "binding". This would look
something like the following ...

<Binding>
  <MessageFamilyBinding name="OrderResponse">
    urn:somenamesapce.com/orderresponse.xsd
  </MessageFamilyBinding>
  <StateBinding name="OrderRejected">
    urn:somenamespace/orderresponse.xsd/OrderResponse/status="Rejected"
  </StateBinding>
  <StateBinding name="OrderAccepted">
    urn:somenamespace/orderresponse.xsd/OrderResponse/status="Accepted"
  </StateBinding>
</Binding>

In this binding:
1. The content of MessageFamilyBinding binds the generic OrderResponse to a
specific OrderResponse schema definition
2. The individual states, e.g "OrderRejected" are bound to an Xpath
expression that evaluates to true/false that examines a part of a document
(Note, my Xpath expresssion is probably slightly off!)

This way, you can both a) keep the choreography "abstract" and b) have a
concrete binding that can be used in a real implementation. Also note that:
1. You can have multiple different bindings for the same choreography
definition therefore enabling choreography reuse
2. You could also indirectly bind a MessageFamily to a WSDL message
reference inside an operation definition and therefore bind a service to a
choreography.

I also think that the whole area of how you go about doing bindings would be
fruitful one to explore further.

Thoughts?

David
[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-chor/2003Apr/0057.html