Internal/External questions - scribed from f2f 1

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 15:11:12 -0500
To: public-ws-chor@w3.org

The following is a list of questions relating to external v. internal
design decisions, developed by abreakout group at the first face to

What are the business problems we're trying to solve?
	- what is the distinction between internal and external
		* internal = building implementation?  Awareness of details?
		* external = interface/contract
		[explain w/use cases]
	- as a consumer/developer, what do I need to know to use ws-chor?
	- are we trying to develop a lang to tie together WS?
		If not, what are we developing?
	- what definitions/terms must we have consensus on, how do these
		effect our ability to make the int/ext decision?
	- does external exposition require communication of internal details
		* how does the description of the service related to int/ext
		* separating the description from impl langs (GPL, WSDl, etc.)
	- how do we ensure we have a set of abstraction at various levels,
		such that the relations among levels are complete and
		well-formed (relate to int/ext)
	- does the distinction stay consistent for both inter- and
		intra- company choreographies?
	- what is choreography w respect to:
		* a lang to tie together WS
		* separate desc language
	- if choreography must be internally consistent, how can we
		view it externally
	- what is the theoretical "definition" of choreography, and
		does this imply external v. internal?
		* e.g. does pi-calculus constrain us to a particular view
	- does compositionality require internal view/details?
		* composition @ runtime
	- is the thing that gets composed itself a service?
		* does this imply int or ext
	- how can we understand what we're trying to do relative to
		existing specs (BPEL, BPSS, WSCI, WSFL, etc.)
		* do other specs have internal/ext distinction
What are the technical problems we're trying to solve and how do
these relate to the business problems?  Are these different problems
for internal vs. external?