From: Assaf Arkin [mailto:arkin@intalio.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 11:41 AM
To: jdart@tibco.com
Cc: Burdett David; public-ws-chor@w3.org
Subject: Re: simultaneous execution

Jon Dart wrote:

> This was discussed a bit at the F2F.
>
> IMO it is not desirable to have to add data to Web service messages in
> order for those messages to be part of a choreography. There are
> simple cases where you don't need to do this explicitly. E.g. if you
> are using HTTP and the reply goes back over the same socket as the
> request, then you have an implicit correlation across request and
> reply. But you don't have this implicit correlation if there's an
> exchange of multiple communications that don't share the same session.
> Also if you're using an asynchronous protocol, then correlation will
> have to be part of the message content, as you note.

+1

Then there's always the possibilty to use the extended addressing
mechanism of WS-Addressing, or the message sequencing of WS-RM.

arkin

> The proposed WS-MessageData spec from BEA might be used as a basis for
> this kind of correlation information.
>
> --Jon
>
> Burdett, David wrote:
>
>> Jon
>>
>> What you are stating as a requirement is that it should be possible
>> to for
>> two choreographies "executed" at the same time.
>>
>> To fully define this requirement you actually need some extra
>> statements,
>> more specifically the requirement should be ... "It should be
>> possible for
>> two (or more) instances of the execution of choreographies of the
>> same type
>> to occur between the same service instances".
>>
>> A simple example of this is a single buyer placing two (or more) orders
>> *simultaneously* with the same seller where the buyer and seller send
>> and
>> receive using the same instances of their order placement and order
>> receipt
>> software.
>>
>> If you accept this requirement, it implies a further requirement
>> which is
>> ... "A role in a choreography must be able to identify the instance of a
>> choreography to which any message in a choreography belongs".
>>
>> I think the only practical way of meeting this requirement is by
>> carrying in
>> the message metadata that allows the two following information items
>> to be
>> identified:
>> 1. Choreography Type - which identifies which choreography is being
>> followed
>> 2. Choreography Instance Id - which identifies which particular
>> instance of
>> a choreography the message relates to. This item was called a
>> "Conversation
>> Id" in ebXML messaging.
>>
>> David

>>> Sr. Technical Architect
>>> daniel_austin@grainger.com

--
"Those who can, do; those who can't, make screenshots"

Assaf Arkin                                          arkin@intalio.com
Intalio Inc.                                           www.intalio.com
The Business Process Management Company                 (650) 577 4700

If you are not the intended recipient, dissemination of this
communication is prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please erase all copies of the message and its attachments
and notify us immediately.