Re: Grounding Choreographies (the atoms) - WAS Simple Choreography composition suggestion

From: Assaf Arkin <arkin@intalio.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 13:49:45 -0700
To: Francis McCabe <fgm@fla.fujitsu.com>
CC: Martin Chapman <martin.chapman@oracle.com>, Steve Ross-Talbot <steve@enigmatec.net>, "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>, public-ws-chor@w3.org

Francis McCabe wrote:

> This is simple.
>
> An agent is the computational resource (yuk) that may be considered
> to  represent a legal entity and which offers and/or requests
> services; in  particular Web services.
>
> The service itself is manifested by the messages between the agents;
> those messages are the basic raw materials for choreographies, not
> the  agents. Controlling the agents amounts (IMO) to orchestration;
> observing the messages amounts to choreography.

So if we depict the exchange of messages between agents as defined by
their Web service interfaces, would that constitute as a choreography?

I am not suggesting that we are controlling what the agents do, and I
understand your argument that this indeed would be more like
orchestration (or other things we don't deal with). But we are
expressing the observable message exchange between them. So would the
concept of an agent be equivalent to a role?

arkin