RE: Why workflow is NOT just a Pi-process

Hi JC

At 01:03 PM 12/8/2003 -0800, JC Reddy wrote:
>>What, in your view, is the difference between Web Services
>>Choreography/Orchestration and Business Process Modeling?

I dont understand the question. A BPMS may provide business
process modeling, for the purpose of deploying a process, and
subsequently executing, operating, interacting with, analysing,
optimizing etc. If the process includes participants that happen to
be available as Web services, then the BPMS would need to
perform:

1. some introspection of the environment so that the Web service
could be included in the model. Ie, the person modeling would
drag it onto a swimlane in the model.

2. at process execution time, the process swimlane in which the Web
service was included would need to chor/orchestrate its interactions with
the other processes (as defined in the process model by the data flows
drawn between the activities) and this might require corollation of
the process instances as the process proceeded to execute

3. To support analysis, the BPMS would be persisting all the
lifecycle of the process state, ie the messages flowing as a result
of the chor/orchestration of the service

etc etc

Howard

>JC Reddy

---