RE: Feedback on Glossary (Service/Service Type/Web Service)

From: Jon Dart <jdart@tibco.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:19:39 -0700
To: public-ws-chor@w3.org

IMO the current WSA definition of service is quite adequate, at least
it's broad enough that you can't very well object to it.

Re Service Type:

>  I can say that some choreography can use any
>> service that implements interface X

This implies a concept of equivalence of interface definitions, which is
not made explicit here.

See
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2002Jun/att-0046/01-portTypes-2002-06-09.html
for a discussion of service type in WSDL, including the equivalence
definition ws-desc used.

To repeat myself, I think we need a really, really Good Reason to
re-introduce "service type", which WSA has not seen fit to define and
which WSD has removed from the WSDL 1.2 draft. I can see the usefulness
of this, myself, but if we want it back in we need to make the argument
that it truly needed for choreography.

Re "Web Service", there is an evolving permathread on the WSA list. IMO
we should defer to that group for this.

--Jon