Usage scenarios and use cases: which is which?

From: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 10:51:39 +0200
To: public-ws-chor@w3.org

I took an action item at the last telcon to point the Working Group to
the result of the discussions that happened in the Architecture and
Description Working Group about use cases and usage scenarios.

During the joint session of their face-to-face meetings in June in
Paris, the following decision was taken:

  let it be recorded, this day, june 12, 2002 ad that the joint
  meeting of the WSD and WSA WGs has chosen the term "Use Case" to
  mean the high-level story thingy and "Usage Scenario" as the
  lower-level thingy

  -- http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/2/07/12-arch-desc-minutes.html

Those terms have been used in the Web Services Architecture Usage
Scenarios[1] and Web Service Description Usage Scenarios[2].

I would recommend the Working Group to adopt this convention for
consistency reasons and to avoid a long debate.

Regards,

Hugo

  1. http://www.w3.org/TR/ws-arch-scenarios/
  2. http://www.w3.org/TR/ws-desc-usecases/