Re: Agenda: 2005-02-08 Async TF telcon

Hi Glen,

It seems like we are diving deep into the details of WSDL 2.0 changes
before we have figured out the usecases/requirements that we want to
support (Greg's presentation did attempt to get to the
usecases/scenarios -- but I'm not sure if the TF agreed on anything). I
did not attend the 1st TF meeting (although I did not see anything in
the minutes) and perhaps the TF did agree on use cases. If so apologies
(pl. point me to the right email).

There seems to be three things that the TF needs to resolve:

1) Asynch use cases that we think are important and need to be addressed
(pun-intended) in light of how WS-Addressing is (or expected to be) used.
2) SOAP over HTTP being the most important protocol here, how do things
work for SOAP/HTTP (details of SOAP-MEP/SOAP-binding etc) for the
usecases in (1) (Greg's presentation, Marc's email about polling).
Resolving this may require definition of a new SOAP binding and/or SOAP
MEP(s) (DaveO's presentation/proposal)
3) How are the usecases in(1) described in WSDL 1.1 and WSDL 1.2
(Kevin's email/DaveO's presentation/Greg's presentation). This may
require changes to WSDL 2.0 (Kevin's email) and/or definition of new
things in WSDL 1.1.

Here are the usecases that I have heard on the call/emails/F2F:

1) One-way:
A client sends a SOAP message over HTTP to a service and does not get
back a SOAP response (perhaps a 202 HTTP response status with no
entity-body).
The WSDL 1.1/2.0 description of this operation/binding/message make it
clear what the non-failure HTTP status code is and the fact that the
HTTP entity-body is empty.

2) Callback:
a) A client sends a SOAP message over HTTP to a service. The client
specifies the response address using WS-Addressing. The service's HTTP
response does not contain an entity-body (perhaps a 202 HTTP response
status). The service at a later point in time responds to the client
using response address specified by the client by sending a SOAP msg
over HTTP. The client responds with an empty HTTP entity-body in the
HTTP response (and perhaps a 202 HTTP response status).
The WSDL 1.1/2.0 description of the callback operation/binding/message
make it clear that the response is sent asynchronously (DaveO presented
a bunch of options as to how this can be done wrt to the WSDL-MEPs and
SOAP-MEPs)
b) Same as (a) but the SOAP response is send using a protocol other than
HTTP (perhaps SMTP).

3) Poll:
a) A client sends a SOAP message over HTTP to a service. The service's
HTTP response does not contain an entity-body, but specifies where the
location of the response is (perhaps using status code 303 and Location
header per Marc's email). The client then polls for the response using
the specified location.
The WSDL 1.1/2.0 description of the poll operation/binding make it clear
that the client has to poll for the SOAP response from the service.

Are there other usecases that the aync tf should consider?

HTH.

-Anish