Proposal for WS-Policy assertions

From: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 15:50:58 -0500
To: "public-ws-addressing@w3.org List" <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>
Gilbert and I took an action to propose some assertions for declaring
WS-Addr requirements/capabilities in WS-Policy. After a bit of
discussion we came up with the following three assertions:

(i) <wsaw:AddressingRequired/> - the endpoint requires WS-Addressing,
optionality can be conveyed using WS-Policy constructs.

(ii) <wsaw:AnonymousReplies/> - the endpoint can send replies using
WS-A anonymous; the endpoint can't send to anon if not present.

(iii) <wsaw:NonAnonymousReplies/> - the endpoint can send replies
using other addresses; the endpoint can't send to other addresses if
not present (unless some other assertion adds a class of supported
addresses).

Assertion (iii) is deliberately vague, its presence means that a non-
anon address might work but doesn't constrain what such an address
might look like - a receiver can still reject an address that it
doesn't grok or that requires a binding it doesn't support. The WG
decided against specifying things like available response bindings so
I think this is in line with that decision.

Here are some examples:

<wsp:Policy>
   <wsaw:AddressingRequired/>
   <wsaw:AnonymousReplies/>
</wsp:Policy>

Means that addressing is required and only anonymous replies are
supported.

<wsp:Policy>
   <wsaw:AddressingRequired/>
   <wsaw:NonAnonymousReplies/>
</wsp:Policy>

Means that addressing is required and only non-anonymous replies are
supported.

<wsp:Policy>
   <wsaw:AddressingRequired/>
   <wsaw:AnonymousReplies/>
   <wsaw:NonAnonymousReplies/>
</wsp:Policy>

Means that addressing is required and both anonymous and non-anonymous
replies are supported.

<wsp:Policy>
   <wsaw:AddressingRequired>
</wsp:Policy>

Wouldn't be too useful for anything other than a one-way message
since neither anonymous nor non-anonymouse replies are supported.

<wsp:Policy>
   <wsaw:AddressingRequired/>
   <wsaw:AnonymousReplies/>
   <wsfoo:AnonReplies/>
</wsp:Policy>

Means that addressing is required and that anon replies as defined by
WS-Addr or WS-Foo are supported.

Marc.

---
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley at sun.com>