Re: Proposed text for SOAP Binding doc WRT Async in HTTP/SOAP

<decloak>

Mark writes:
> The SOAP 1.2 Addressing 1.0 Feature changes the SOAP 1.1/HTTP binding
> when "http://www.w3.org/@@@@/@@/addressing/anonymous" is not
> specified for the response endpoint as described in 3.6.1 SOAP 1.1/HTTP.

How does it *change* the SOAP/HTTP binding? In fact, I don't believe that
it does change the binding
in any way. All the SOAP11/HTTP binding says is how to stick a SOAP
message into an HTTP request
and HTTP response. It doesn't make any claims about

I think that there is a misunderstanding about existance of a relationship
between MEPs at different layers.
In fact, I believe that there is none, nor should there be one. The fact
that absent WS-A MAPs that a WSDL
R/R MEP and the SOAP R/R MEP are seemingly the same is merely a
coincidence. I also think that it
was a mistake for the WS-I BP to impose some sort of artificial
association between a WSDL oneway
operation and a non-existant oneway SOAP MEP such that they disallowed a
SOAP envelope in the HTTP response
message. WS-RM has an important use case that requires exploiting the HTTP
response message
to send back a SequenceAcknowledgement. Just because the WSDL says that
the operation is
a oneway shouldn't preclude a SOAP envelope in the response with the
SequenceAcknowledgement
information. A WSDL oneway operation only means that the *application* is
not expecting an
application-level response in the form of a SOAP message. If the WS-I BP
permits a fault to be
transmitted/transferred back on the HTTP response, why not some other
infrastructure-level signal such
as an RM ack or a non-repudiation acknowledgement?

</decloak>

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com