RE: Proposed text for CR18

From: <paul.downey@bt.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 10:11:05 -0000
To: <curbera@us.ibm.com>
Cc: <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>, <public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org>

Hi Paco,

> 1. What is the scope of the sentence you are proposing to add below?

The WS-Addressing SOAP Binding only.

> 2. Do you intend to in say that WSA-SOAP binding spec does not assign
> any semantics to an anonymous URI in the destination but that specific
> transports could fill in those semantics?

The intention is to enable transports, processors and other specifications
to do what they wish with an anonymous wsa:To value.

That is the SOAP Binding specification makes no restrictions or meaning
placed upon to use of anonymous for the [destination] property.

I believe that to be the Status Quo, should ring warning bells in
the head of anyone wishing to anonymous wsa:To currently, but allow future
specifications to add meaning should it provide value in a given domain,
without breaking our generalised specification.

                      Sent by:                        To:       <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>
                      public-ws-addressing-req        cc:
                      uest@w3.org                     Subject:  Proposed text for CR18
                      02/09/2006 06:35 AM

In our Core specification for anonymous URI, we say:

  The precise meaning of this URI is defined by the binding of
  Addressing to a specific protocol..

Section 3.5 of the SOAP Binding "Use of Anonymous Address in SOAP"
states the meaning of anonymous addresses in practical terms
when moving messages down a channel.

To explicitly state the Status Quo, I suggest adding the
following sentence:

  A value of "http://www.w3.org/@@@@/@@/addressing/anonymous" for
  the [destination] property implies no particular semantics.