RE: LC Editorial Comment for WS-Addressing Core Specification

I had an action to look into these notational conventions.  I also see
the issue has been closed as editorial, so I propose this as simply
direction to the editors (with Umit's agreement).

The notational convention in WSDL 2.0 [1] doesn't support using type
names for element content (it only defines it for attributes).  So that
doesn't help us determine whether the type is the type of the element,
or the type of the content.  RelationshipType, having an attribute,
implies the type applies only to the content, and I think this is a good
thing since it is consistent with allowing attribute extensibility.

I suggest we add the following statement to our notational conventions:

WSDL 2.0 defines a notational convention for BNF Pseudo-schemas [WDSL
2.0 section 1.4.8].  This specification extends that syntax to assign
elements with simple content a value which corresponds to the type of
their content, as defined in the normative schema.

The notation in 2.2 would become:

<wsa:EndpointReference>

    <wsa:Address>xs:anyURI</wsa:Address>

    <wsa:ReferenceParameters /> ?

    <wsa:Metadata /> ?

</wsa:EndpointReference>

And the notation in 3.1 would become:

<wsa:MessageID>xs:anyURI</wsa:MessageID>
<wsa:RelatesTo RelationshipType="xs:anyURI"?>xs:anyURI</wsa:RelatesTo>
<wsa:To>xs:anyURI</wsa:To>
<wsa:Action>xs:anyURI</wsa:Action>
<wsa:From>

    <wsa:Address/>

    <wsa:ReferenceParameters /> ?

    <wsa:Metadata /> ?

</wsa:From>
<wsa:ReplyTo>

    <wsa:Address/>

    <wsa:ReferenceParameters /> ?

    <wsa:Metadata /> ?

</wsa:ReplyTo>
<wsa:FaultTo>

    <wsa:Address/>

    <wsa:ReferenceParameters /> ?

    <wsa:Metadata /> ?

</wsa:FaultTo>

I don't think it would be too abusive of the notation to also indicate
the cardinality of each of these elements, even though they appear at
the top level as follows:

<wsa:MessageID>xs:anyURI</wsa:MessageID> ?
<wsa:RelatesTo RelationshipType="xs:anyURI"?>xs:anyURI</wsa:RelatesTo> *

<wsa:To>xs:anyURI</wsa:To> ?
<wsa:Action>xs:anyURI</wsa:Action>
<wsa:From> ?

    <wsa:Address/>

    <wsa:ReferenceParameters /> ?

    <wsa:Metadata /> ?

</wsa:From>
<wsa:ReplyTo> ?

    <wsa:Address/>

    <wsa:ReferenceParameters /> ?

    <wsa:Metadata /> ?

</wsa:ReplyTo>
<wsa:FaultTo> ?

    <wsa:Address/>

    <wsa:ReferenceParameters /> ?

    <wsa:Metadata /> ?

</wsa:FaultTo>

I also note that this notation doesn't deal with extension attributes
and elements either way.  The schema itself of other places in the spec
seem reasonable places to look for that level of detail.

[1]
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/wsdl20/wsdl20.html#bnfp
seudoschemas