Re: NEW ISSUE; wsa:To interaction with application protocols

Mark,

In its 2004-12-20 distributed meeting, the Working Group decided to
decline taking this issue on.

In doing so, we noted that nothing in the specifications as they stand
prevent this use case; such a mechanism can be layered onto Addressing,
e.g. by defining an alternate binding. Furthermore, while according to
our Charter "the components must be defined so as to allow binding to
protocols other than SOAP," actually providing bindings to other
protocols is not within the scope described there.

Kind regards,

On Dec 13, 2004, at 7:17 AM, Mark Baker wrote:

> The SOAP binding currently only supports uses of SOAP which treat
> underlying application protocols as transport protocols.  It does this
> by requiring that a wsa:Address EII map to the wsa:To SOAP header,
> rather than providing for the possibility of mapping to the identifier
> in the underlying protocol.  The spec says;
>
>   "The [address] property in the endpoint reference is copied in the
>    [destination] message information property. The infoset
>    representation of the [destination] property becomes a header block
>    in the SOAP message."
>
> As an example of the problem, consider the following EPR (an edited
> version of one from the spec);
>
> <wsa:EndpointReference xmlns:wsa="..." xmlns:fabrikam="...">
>    <wsa:Address>foobar@fabrikam123.example</wsa:Address>
>    <wsa:ReferenceProperties>
>        <fabrikam:CustomerKey>123456789</fabrikam:CustomerKey>
>    </wsa:ReferenceProperties>
>    <wsa:ReferenceParameters>
>        <fabrikam:ShoppingCart>ABCDEFG</fabrikam:ShoppingCart>
>    </wsa:ReferenceParameters>
> </wsa:EndpointReference>
>
> Here, "foobar@fabrikam123.example" is required to go in the SOAP
> header,
> rather than in the "RCPT TO" command of the SMTP protocol (as an
> example
> of one email delivery protocol).
>
> I think the shortcoming will significantly hamper the ability for
> WS-Addressing enabled agents and services to integrate with existing
> applications on the Internet, such as email, instant messaging, and the
> Web.
>
> Mark.
> --
> Mark Baker.   Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.        http://www.markbaker.ca