RE: Amended proposal for i059

Isn't this ironic.  I was just working on a rewrite that did much of the
same.  The one thing that I had done, which I won't propose at this
time, is that WS-A create a simple MEPs to be SOAP version agnostic,
then map the simple MEPs to SOAP 1.1 or the appropriate SOAP 1.2 MEPs.
However, let's try to rally around this text..

I have a few amendments I'd suggest, mostly involving shortening up the
wording a fair bit..  A significant technical change is removing the
requirement for an empty soap envelope.  The presence of the
wsaw:UsingAddressing element does not necessarily change the SOAP
1.1/HTTP binding, particularly if anonymous is used.  So I suggest
saying nothing rather than specifying something that effectively means
"keep it the way it was".  I've removed the discussion about the
wsaw:UsingAddressing element to say just WS-Addressing changes it when
anon is used.  If WS-A isn't engaged, then the text doesn't apply...
The soap 1.1 wording for inbound/outbound can also be collapsed to just
"receiver of a message" to cover 2 one-ways and avoid confusion about
whether the outbound message is recursively an inbound message.  There
is an interesting proposal in XMLP land to make request-response
equivalent to request-optional-response, so I've tried to take that into
account by saying "part of a single MEP" rather than "MUST comply with
..." because DH's wording leaves that open to the question of 1 or 2
MEPs.  I also changed the negative wording (MUST NOT) of the soap 1.2
anon not used to be +ve wording.

I'm not sure what the heading #s should be as I'm not sure which
document and where these bindings should appear, so I removed the #s.
This does feel like it has a real affinity for section 3.5 of the ws-a
soap binding doc, a natural "3.6 Anonymous Address not used in SOAP".
It could also be in a separate WS-Addressing document.

I hope that moving from 11 lines of description to 5 helps progress
things.  I think it would be hard to get to 4 or fewer lines :-)

SOAP 1.1/HTTP binding

WS-Addressing changes the SOAP 1.1/HTTP binding when the anonymous
address is not used.  In this case, the receiver of a message MUST
respond with a 202 status code and an empty HTTP body, aka no SOAP
envelope.  If a non-anonymous address is used, the outbound message MUST
be sent using a separate connection using the address value of the
specified by appropriate response endpoint

SOAP 1.2 binding

1.      When the anonymous address is used, then the inbound and any
outbound message are part of a single SOAP request-response MEP [soap
1.2 adjuncts ref]

2.      When the anonymous address is not used, then any outbound
message is part of a different MEP than the inbound message.

Old Text for easy reference

3.1.2.1 Extension to SOAP 1.1/HTTP binding

The presence of the wsaw:UsingAddressing element in the binding or
endpoint (port) components of the endpoint description extends the
semantics of the SOAP 1.1/HTTP binding, by relaxing the requirement that
the outbound message be sent over the same HTTP connection over which
the inbound message was received.

1.      When the anonymous address is used, the outbound message MUST be
sent over the same HTTP connection as the inbound message.

2.      When the anonymous address is not used, the receipt of the
inbound message MUST be acknowledged with a status message (202) by the
receiver using the HTTP connection that generated the inbound message.
The receipt message MUST contain an empty SOAP envelope.  (Lets discuss
this further)

a.      If no response is sent, no further action is required

b.      When a non-anonymous address is used, the outbound message MUST
be sent using a separate connection using the address value of the
specified by appropriate response endpoint.  If the connection is an
HTTP connection, the outbound message must be acknowledged as above.

3.1.2.1 Behavior for SOAP 1.2

3.      When the anonymous address is used, then the inbound and
outbound messages together MUST comply with the SOAP request-response
MEP defined in section 6.2 of the SOAP 1.2 adjuncts, as bound to the
transport of the endpoint.

4.      When the anonymous address is not used, the sending of the
outbound message, if any, MUST NOT be part of the same SOAP MEP as the
receipt of the inbound message.

Cheers,

Dave