RE: Composibility problems with refps

From: Rich Salz <rsalz@datapower.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:09:59 -0500 (EST)
To: Christopher B Ferris <chrisfer@us.ibm.com>
cc: "public-ws-addressing@w3.org" <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>

> What I don't understand is why you think that just because WS-A includes
> as part of its
> processing model the echoing of EPR props/params as SOAP headers that
> makes it somehow special with regards
> to the security model and its application to outbound messages.

Because it just is.  Honest, it really is.

Don't think of it as echoing, think of it as promotion.  No other
generic composible specification does this.  Every other spec makes
it clear, through standard use of XML, what it is.  Therefore it
is easy to express a security policy, implement it, and verify it.

Since addressing information is now put as header elements that
are indistinguishable from any other header elements, then you
cannot reliably secure them, you cannot express a policy that says
how they should be secured, and even if you could, the set of
headers to be affected not only varies per-message-type, but
per message instance.

IT makes it *much* harder to provide end-to-send security of message
headers.  Without close coupling and clumsy policy expression, it's
impossible.

        /r$

XML Security Overview      http://www.datapower.com/xmldev/xmlsecurity.html