RE: Composibility problems with refps

David,

My point is that if you have an intruder in the processing flow of an
outgoing SOAP
message that is including an EPR that will result in a SOAP message back
to the
originator of the EPR nasty stuff as a result, you are screwed regardless.

What I was saying was that the pipelining hole you described, where stuff
in the
outgoing message is not signed until the end, subjects the entire message
to tampering
that cannot be detected.

What you are describing in the EPR "echo attack" case is only one form of
vulnerability.
If a hacker can inject code into the server system, both the client and
server are vulnerable, period.

The interloper you describe could just as easily muck with any aspect of
the outgoing message
in a manner that will be disadvantageous to either party. It could
re-write the SequenceAcknowledgement
header thus causing the other endpoint to resend messages that have
already been received, or
causing messages not received never to be sent. It could change the body
of the message
so that instead of a credit of 100USD it was a debit.

What I don't understand is why you think that just because WS-A includes
as part of its
processing model the echoing of EPR props/params as SOAP headers that
makes it somehow special with regards
to the security model and its application to outbound messages.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
blog: http://webpages.charter.net/chrisfer/blog.html