RE: Composibility problems with refps

But your still talking about comprimising the pipeline itself. It's not
an attack someone could mount on the wire.

>   Very few systems that I've heard of
> have the software that generates message content (particularly EPRs)
> secure it right away - which would prevent the hole that I'm talking
> about.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'right away'. Do you mean before it first
appears on the wire? Or while it's in the processing pipeline?

> And it's not inserting into arbitrary parts of the message,
> it's just in
> an EPR.
>
> So, the hacker would have to be able to:
> a) inject arbitrary XML into EPR(s) in a message.

I'm confused. Are we talking about securing the wsa:EndpointReference
element? Or the headers which are inserted into a message? Or both?

> And this problem is prevented in WS-A by requiring that REFps are not
> echoed directly and unmodified as soap header blocks.

I'm not sure how this helps plug the security hole.

> It seems hard to quantify the risk of this.  One approach is
> to say "oh
> well, so sad".  Another approach is to do some work in a spec
> to prevent
> the problem.

I'm still not quite seeing exactly what that problem is.

:-(

Gudge