Re: New Issue: use XSD to describe the syntax [i032]

From: Rich Salz <rsalz@datapower.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:48:32 -0500 (EST)
To: Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com>
cc: "public-ws-addressing@w3.org" <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>

> +1 for a normative schema .. however that's not impossible while
> supporting XML 1.1; that's what WSDL 2.0 is going to be doing.

FWIW, I think WSDL 2.0 is horrible; I'll have a column on
webservices.xml.com in a day or two that explains it in more detail.

I think that if this WG wants to address XML1.1 -- perhaps someone should
open a new issue on that exact point -- then it should be in a separate
small section at the end of the document.  Personally, I see absolutely
nothing wrong with saying something like this:

	XSD does not yet support XML 1.1. XML 1.1 is not fully
	backward-compatible with XML1.0, nor is it generally
	available or deployed. Given this, whenever we find ourselves
	having to choose between support, or clean and simple use
	of XML1.0/XSD over XML1.1, we chose the former.  Section X.Y
	defines a normative mapping of this specification to XML 1.1.

Then we only need someone to volunteer to write the mapping.
        /r$
XML Security Overview      http://www.datapower.com/xmldev/xmlsecurity.html