Action optionality (was: WS-Addr issues)

From: Mark Nottingham <mark.nottingham@bea.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:58:50 -0500
To: "<public-ws-addressing@w3.org> <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>" <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>

I think this discussion would benefit from considering WHAT is required
to have an action.

We're chartered to provide an abstract set of properties (the "core"),
and a binding of those properties to SOAP messages; I haven't yet seen
this as leading us to define a new type of abstract Web services
message that MUST have certain properties.

We're also chartered to define the use of those properties in WSDL
interactions; I can see us talking about what properties are required
and optional in the context of those interactions.

So, is this discussion about defining a new kind of "WS-Addressing
Conformant Abstract Message" -- that includes a mandatory Action
property (or not), or is it about defining what properties are required
-- including the Action property -- in particular interactions defined
by the WSDL binding?

Thanks,

Office of the CTO   BEA Systems