RE: WS-Addr issues

From: Jim Webber <Jim.Webber@newcastle.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 02:46:11 -0000
To: "Francisco Curbera" <curbera@us.ibm.com>
Cc: "David Orchard" <dorchard@bea.com>, "Marc Hadley" <Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>, "Mark Little" <mark.little@arjuna.com>, <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>, <public-ws-addressing-request@w3.org>, "Savas Parastatidis" <Savas.Parastatidis@newcastle.ac.uk>

Hey Paco,

> Note that the use of reference properties within an epr is already
> optional: epr issuers are not required to use them. The only
> requirement is for consumers of the epr to echo them back as
> SOAP headers.

Yes that's true. However I still have concerns about their use (which I
echo in [1]), namely that the availability of such mechanisms encourages
a fine-grained and brittle approach to addressing entities in a Web
Service-based application which are perhaps better not being addressed.
However this view is entirely my own architectural preference and it is
only one such view in our community - other people (for instance the
WS-RF see things differently).

I am also concerned that consumers will have to store refprops/params in
order to interact with a Web Service even though they are not allowed to
look at them. My preference would be to model such context mechanisms
externally (a la WS-Context or WS-Coordination), or otherwise for those
contextual headers to be placed out of scope for an addressing
specification.

Jim
--
http://jim.webber.name