RE: WS-Addr issues

From: <paul.downey@bt.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 10:54:28 -0000
To: <Jim.Webber@newcastle.ac.uk>, <Savas.Parastatidis@newcastle.ac.uk>
Cc: <public-ws-addressing@w3.org>
Jim

> Certainly the utility company does not stick an action on the envelope
> like"urn:pay:up:or:supply:will:be:cut" which is the function of was:action.

my electricity bill is sent to "accounts department",  "Southern Gas*, London"
"accounts department" being the action in this case.

> When I received a bill from a utility company, it doesn't "invoke" the
> "GiveMeMoney" operation on me. I just get a document which I parse and
> understand, and may take some action on.

endpoints are about /routing/ and action is about /dispatching/
i don't see how the ws-addressing spec could specify that dispatch contents
must be, say a noun rather than a verb.

So whilst i'm happy for *your* implementations to process the service specific
message contents to work out the action to be taken, removing action will preclude
other styles of service from using ws-addressing, in particular endpoints using a
generic security or routing proxy (the post room in the gas board example).

Paul

(yes, i'm able to get my electricity from the gas company!)