Re: Representative sample of industry protocols

On 24 October 2016 at 15:51, Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> wrote:

> To show the challenge we’re facing with integrating the Web of things with
> existing protocols, here is a representative sample of industry protocols
> from a report from Aruba Networks (Connect and protect: Building a
> trust-based Internet of things for business critical applications).
>
> See: www.arubanetworks.com/assets/wp/WP_ConnectProtectIoT.pdf
>
> The shear number of such protocols suggests that we need to look for a
> scalable approach to working on protocol bindings where the work is largely
> done by other organisations. Picking them off one by one for the IG
> plugfests isn’t going to get us there, although we will learn a lot on the
> way.

Exactly. Why would you even try to standardise bindings to all of these
protocols?

Why not define a single protocol binding for the Web of Things (HTTP,
upgradeable to WebSockets for events)? Device or gateway implementations
can map HTTP to non-web protocols on the back end wherever necessary.

As an example, my team is currently working on a REST+WebSockets API for a
gateway which uses ZigBee and ONVIF/WiFi on the back end. Another team
previously created bindings to Z-Wave.

Ben