OpenID (Re: proposed policy for user names on W3C wikis)

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:15:50 -0500
To: "Sandro Hawke" <sandro@w3.org>
Cc: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, public-wiki-dev@w3.org

"Sandro Hawke" <sandro@w3.org> writes:

> > Did we want to still experiment with openid?
>
> I don't think so. I learned that it's just used for authentication and
> doesn't appear later in the UI.  For some reason I had thought the
> openID might be used in the UI as your user name, but that's not the
> case.    So it's interesting down the road for integration, but doesn't
> matter right now -- it doesn't seem warranted to use OWL-WG to push the
> envelope here.
>
> > I just signed up for
> > one. If so we need to add an extension:
> >
> > http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OpenID
>
> It's actually installed, it just gives an error if you try to use it,
> and I haven't tried to debug it.

I got it working (on a different wiki).  I had assumed it was fully
installed when it was only partially installed.

One issue is that MediaWiki's OpenID implementation assumes you want to
use your OpenID "Nickname" as your Wiki username.  I'd suggest we change
that (somehow) to default to using your OpenID "Full Name" instead.

     -- Sandro