Re: [whatwg] Accessing local files with JavaScript portably and securely

From: David Kendal <me@dpk.io>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 22:43:14 +0100
To: Philipp Serafin <phil127@gmail.com>
Cc: WHAT Working Group <whatwg@whatwg.org>
On 9 Apr 2017, at 14:48, Philipp Serafin <phil127@gmail.com> wrote:

> Note also that the HTTP server solution requires you to ship a binary
> (the server) with your files, therefore sacrificing platform
> independence and requiring the user to run an untrusted binary, all
> just to show some HTML files.

This is my main concern with the 'ship a server' approach.

In addition, though local servers are easy for experienced developers to
spin up, it's an extra potentially confusing step for developers who are
brand new to the web platform. It's an additional concept to grasp before
you can even get started, and those should be absolutely minimized.
Beginners may not even have HTTP hosting space of their own yet, and be
dependent on their local filesystem to see their pages.

--
dpk (David P. Kendal) · Nassauische Str. 36, 10717 DE · http://dpk.io/
  A, der edelste, ursprünglichste aller laute, aus brust und kehle voll