Re: [whatwg] Modify the Page Visibility spec to let UA's take into account whether iframes are visible on the screen

On 2015-03-31 16:09, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 3/31/15 2:18 AM, Roger Hågensen wrote:
>> What type of iframes would benefit from this?
>
> Ads, from a user point of view.
>
> Now getting them to opt in to being throttled...
>
> -Boris

Would not a ad delivery network prefer not to have to push ads out that
the user is not seeing at all?
If not then they are only wasting bandwidth/CPU/memory on the server,
and causing impressions that are wasted on nothing (important for the
advertisers since they pay for them).

It's not throttling, it's proper use of resources. And while a ad
network can not be guaranteed there are eyeballs on the ad, they can at
least be assured that the ad is visible.

Imagine a clock or counter or similar, personally I'd love to use
something similar for a status monitor for a server project, since it
shows the live status there is no point in updating it while not
visible, and the moment after being made visible again it will be
current within a second. No wasted CPU no wasted bandwidth nor server
resources.

And I already mentioned video and audio (if autopause is taken beyond
just iframes).

I often open multiple tabs, and then I go through them one by one later.
If I end up opening 3-4 videos at the same time I have to stop the other
3 so I do not get a cacophony of 4 videos at once. There is also the
issue of quadruple bandwidth load on the server.
I often also open anywhere from 2 to 20 tabs with pages in them, what
point is there in doing ad rotation or similar in all those if I'm not
looking at any of them except tab #19 ?

But who knows, you may be right, getting people to op in is a issue,
take gzip for example, almost a halving of the bandwidth on average yet
there are so many sites out there not making use of it; but that is
their choice and loss I guess.

--
Roger Hågensen, Freelancer, http://skuldwyrm.no/