Re: [whatwg] Parsing of meta refresh needs tweaking

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 08:55:02 +0100, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:

> On 2015-01-07 08:52, Simon Pieters wrote:
>>> I hear (a) these pages have been broken in IE for a long time, and (b)
>>> only 23 (?) pages in your DB are found.
>>
>> Right.
>>
>>> So why not just leave them broken?
>>
>> It's a worse user experience and it's a shorter path to interop to
>> change IE.
>
> User experience for invalid content is one aspect; sane parsing rules
> are another one. Not requiring the parameter name will make it harder to
> introduce new parameters in the future.

If you want a new parameter *in place of* URL=, you're better off using a
different http-equiv value. If you want a new parameter in addition to
URL=, that would still be possible if URL= is first and it uses quotes.

That said, I doubt new parameters will be introduced here, and the parsing
is already not sane.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software