Re: [whatwg] Obsolete Feature [hgroup]

On Tue, 17 Feb 2015, Barry Smith wrote:

> I have read where the W3C has made the hgroup element obsolete,
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/obsolete.html#non-conforming-features
> .  I see the specification is still in the "WHATWG HTML: The Living
> Standard" specifications.  Are there any plans to remove this element
> from the specification?

Not currently.

> If not, as a web developer, I try extremely hard to follow protocol and
> create a valid and semantically correct document.  How should I handle
> this?

If you wish to create a valid and semantically correct document according
to the most recently published HTML standard, then using <hgroup> is fine.

> As far as validation, a document with the hgroup element will not pass
> when using the W3C Markup Validation Service.  However it will pass when
> using the https://html5.validator.nu/ validator.  Should I ignore the
> error I receive?

I recommend using the validator.nu service rather than the W3C one.
They're basically the same but the validator.nu one is closer to the
WHATWG spec's requirements than the W3C one.

HTH,