Re: [whatwg] Unicode -> ASCII copy/paste fallback

David Sheets <kosmo.zb@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 12:23 PM, Mathias Bynens <mathiasb@opera.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 1:18 PM, James M. Greene
>> <james.m.greene@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> In this case, you can use Unicode escape values by preceding them with a
>>> slash:
>>
>> OP’s question wasn’t about how to escape non-ASCII characters, but
>> rather about what the copy/paste behavior should be in browsers.
>>
>> @David, I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect non-ASCII characters
>> to be transliterated to ASCII characters copying them. That said, it
>> would be nice to standardize on the behavior here: should generated
>> content be included when copying or not?
>
> Hi Mathias,
>
> Do you mean that it's not reasonable for transliteration to happen
> automatically? I agree.

What do you mean with “not reasonable” ? I once noticed that where
elinks does show “ベルントとウンターアルターバッハの謎”, links shows
“BeRuN6TotoU6N6Ta-6A6RuTa-6BaTUHano***”. Now while I cannot read any
japanese, I wonder if this transliteration seems unreasonable to you.

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>