Re: [whatwg] Unicode -> ASCII copy/paste fallback

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 12:23 PM, Mathias Bynens <mathiasb@opera.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 1:18 PM, James M. Greene
> <james.m.greene@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In this case, you can use Unicode escape values by preceding them with a
>> slash:
>
> OP’s question wasn’t about how to escape non-ASCII characters, but
> rather about what the copy/paste behavior should be in browsers.
>
> @David, I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect non-ASCII characters
> to be transliterated to ASCII characters copying them. That said, it
> would be nice to standardize on the behavior here: should generated
> content be included when copying or not?

Hi Mathias,

Do you mean that it's not reasonable for transliteration to happen
automatically? I agree.

Do you mean that it's not reasonable to support specific replacements
during copying? Firefox seems to support this currently (and
perfectly).

There are user trickery concerns here but, at least in my case, I
think codepoint -> 2 byte replacement is probably safe...

Thanks,

David