Re: [whatwg] Reporting mid-stream resolution change on <video>

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013, Ami Fischman wrote:

> Thanks Ian.  My reading of
> http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=8346&to=8347 is that a simple
> video that never changes size will never see the new resize event.  Is that
> intentional?

Correct.

> (I ask b/c e.g. durationchange _is_ fired right before metadataloaded;
> I'd expect resize & durationchange to act similarly in terms of whether
> they fire on initial load)

> Would it make sense to make resize fire right before metadataloaded
> fires and remove its Preconditions (both mimicking durationchange)?

I suppose we could fire resize on initial load as well. I guess it depends
on what code that uses this looks like. Is the initial size change the
same kind of code as resizing, or is it different code? (e.g. will one set
up elements to frame the video while the other just changes their size?)

> Related, it's strange to me that
>
> At this point, resize events can start firing.
>
> but readyState is still HAVE_NOTHING, which is precluded by
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#event-media-resize's
> Preconditions.

The non-normative note there isn't strictly true; the events can't
actually fire until the whole task has finished. It's like the note in the
next step, which doesn't mention that the event in question fires later.
Notes often trade precision for brevity; if they were as precise as the
normative text, they'd be as long as the normative text and wouldn't help. :-)