Re: [whatwg] How to tell when a drag and drop was successful?

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 19:56:28 +0000 (UTC)
To: Daniel Trebbien <dtrebbien@gmail.com>
Cc: whatwg@whatwg.org
On Tue, 13 Aug 2013, Daniel Trebbien wrote:

> Reading through the spec, I am not seeing how an application can
> determine whether a drop into a different window was successful.

This was an error in the spec. Good catch.

I've updated the spec. The trick is to check event.dataTransfer.dropEffect
in the dragend event; if it's "none" then the drag was canceled.

This works already in Chrome and Firefox for same-page drags; it also
works in Chrome for cross-app drags, but in Firefox for some reason you
always get "none" for cross-app drags currently. It does work for
cross-page (all within Firefox) drags in Firefox. (Tested on Mac.)

> The spec gives an example of removing the dragged element from the
> display:
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/dnd.html#introduction-8
> .. but this has the problem that the element is removed regardless of
> whether the drop was successful, right?

Good point. Fixed. Thanks!