Re: [whatwg] Proposal: ImageData constructor or factory method with preexisting data

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013, Kenneth Russell wrote:

> The use case is the passing of ImageData objects back and forth to
> workers to fill and refill with data.
>
> An ImageData is essentially a wrapper for the underlying
> Uint8ClampedArray, providing an associated width and height. However,
> the only way to draw raw pixels into a Canvas is using an ImageData.
>
> Currently a Unit8ClampedArray can be constructed, but the only way to
> create an ImageData is to ask a Canvas for one, and there's no way to
> associate it with a pre-allocated Uint8ClampedArray.

Why can't you just send an ImageData over?

> This means that if you want to pass an ImageData to a worker for
> filling, transferring the underlying Uint8ClampedArray, you need to be
> very careful about bookkeeping, and to not lose the reference to the
> ImageData object.

Sure. Just send the ImageData over. That seems relatively
straight-forward. What am I missing?

> IMO there ought to be a factory method for ImageData taking a
> Uint8ClampedArray, width, height, and possibly resolution (or a
> dictionary?), which validates the width, height and resolution against
> the size of the Uint8ClampedArray, and makes a new ImageData object.
> This would ease management of ImageData instances.

We could have a constructor for ImageData objects, sure. That would be
relatively easy to add, if it's really needed. I don't understand why it's
hard to keep track of ImageData objects, though. Can you elaborate?