Re: [whatwg] Splash screen proposal for web apps ?

From: Laurent Perez <l.laurent.p@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 16:48:37 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: "whatwg@whatwg.org" <whatwg@whatwg.org>
The use case is to show a "please wait, loading..." message until all
resources of an index page (js, css, html, images, fonts) are downloaded.
When the message dismisses, the index page is ready for a non-blocking UI
navigation since js was already loaded.

We plan to implement it in our own user agent, and I was wondering if I
should go the Apple meta way or use the w3c widgets spec and use a webapp
descriptor. I know the widgets spec has been implemented by some (Opera,
Phonegap to describe an hybrid application), I was wondering if work was
still going on on the splash proposal.

laurent

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 9:15 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Jul 2013, Laurent Perez wrote:
> >
> > Is there work going on on a Splash screen specification ?
>
> What's the use case?
>
> Generally speaking, Web pages load incrementally, so by the time you've
> downloaded an image, you should be able to just show the Web page itself,
> at least in a state good enough for the user. (For example, even really
> large and expensive pages like Google+ render in a usable state quickly,
> even though they continue to load assets and scripts in the background and
> thus actually don't present an interactive UI straight away.)
>
> --

http://laurentperez.fr
J2EE tips and best practices