Re: [whatwg] Splash screen proposal for web apps ?

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 15:58:13 +0000 (UTC)
To: Laurent Perez <l.laurent.p@gmail.com>
Cc: "whatwg@whatwg.org" <whatwg@whatwg.org>
On Thu, 1 Aug 2013, Laurent Perez wrote:

> The use case is to show a "please wait, loading..." message until all
> resources of an index page (js, css, html, images, fonts) are
> downloaded. When the message dismisses, the index page is ready for a
> non-blocking UI navigation since js was already loaded.
>
> We plan to implement it in our own user agent, and I was wondering if I
> should go the Apple meta way or use the w3c widgets spec and use a
> webapp descriptor. I know the widgets spec has been implemented by some
> (Opera, Phonegap to describe an hybrid application), I was wondering if
> work was still going on on the splash proposal.

Why not model applications around the same model as used by G+, where the
"splash" is the application itself, just in a non-interactive state?

If you can download the splash graphic, you can almost certainly download
enough of the app to just show it.

Basically, I think you should view as splash screens as much the same way
as "installation" -- bugs from a legacy world that we should work hard to
avoid reintroducing into the Web platform.