Re: [whatwg] URL: file: URLs

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 17:25:30 +0100
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>> But at that point in a URL you cannot have a path. A path starts with
>> a slash after the host.
>
> The point is that on Windows, Gecko parses file://c:/something as
> file:///c:/something
>
> As in, it's an exception to the general "if there are two slashes after the
> "file:" then the next thing is a host rule.

Thanks, I missed that. It seems however we could have that parsing
rule for all platforms without issue, no? After all, file://c:/ does
not parse currently on non-Windows platforms.

>> I suppose, I would hate it though for new URL(...) to depend on the
>> platform.
>
> I'm not sure there are great solutions here.  :(

Yeah, I'm willing to suck it up, but I would like to explore our
options before we go that route.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/