Re: [whatwg] URL: query encoding

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 17:20:33 +0200
To: WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>, "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@annevk.nl>
On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 17:23:53 +0300, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
wrote:

> Currently encoding the query component of a URL using the document's
> encoding affects all URLs with a "relative scheme" (http/ws/file/...).
> Should we restrict this to http/https/file so new schemes such as
> ws/wss and others will not be affected by this weird legacy quirk?

So in Opera this quirk does not apply to ws: or wss:. We have a test case
for this. I believe the spec required this at the time we implemented it.
Firefox passes the test as well, but Chrome fails it (Chrome has the
quirk). I don't know what IE does. I tentatively suggest we go with
Opera/Firefox here and limit this quirk so it does not apply to ws: or
wss:.

> Is
> that something implementors would consider following?
>
> The parsing section of http://url.spec.whatwg.org/ has this as an open
> issue for now.

cheers
--